Mission, Vision, and Personal Goals Essay.
Discussion: Mission, Vision, and Personal Goals
Are you familiar with Walden University’s vision and mission? Were they a factor in selecting this University? How do they relate to your professional and academic goals? Does it matter if there is a tight or loose relationship or one at all? This week’s Discussion asks you to think about how the Walden mission and vision and the School of Nursing (SON) mission and vision apply to your professional and academic goals. Is there a match? How does Walden’s mission and vision relate to your becoming a scholar-practitioner committed to social change?Mission, Vision, and Personal Goals Essay.
Review the Walden and SON mission and vision statements, Walden’s goals and University Outcomes, and the MSN Program Learning Outcomes presented in this week’s Learning Resources.
Reflect on your professional and academic goals as they relate to your program/specialization.Mission, Vision, and Personal Goals Essay.
Consider how the information in the documents, identified above, fit with your own goals and to your becoming a scholar-practitioner.
Think about how you will incorporate your commitment to social change into your professional and academic goals, particularly as it relates to the area(s) of interest represented by your program/specialization.
Post a description of one or more significant ways in which Walden’s and the School of Nursing’s perspectives (i.e., vision, mission, social change message, and outcomes) relate to your professional and academic goals and to your becoming a scholar-practitioner. Include how you plan to incorporate social change into your professional and academic goals.Mission, Vision, and Personal Goals Essay.
Support your Discussion assignment with specific resources used in its preparation using APA formatting. You are asked to provide a reference for all resources, including those in the Learning Resources for this course.
|About Walden University
Walden University is an accredited institution that for more than 45 years has provided an engaging learning experience for working professionals. Our mission of producing scholar-practitioners has attracted a community of extraordinary students and faculty, all sharing a common desire to make a positive social impact—to make a difference.
Highlights of Walden’s commitment include:
· Diverse and comprehensive core curriculum: Walden University provides students the intellectual foundation necessary to see the interrelationships among the central ideas and means of expression that are specific to the disciplines. This foundation supplies a context for knowledge and makes possible the cross-fertilization of ideas to enhance creativity, innovation, and problem-solving.Mission, Vision, and Personal Goals Essay.
· Student-centeredness: Our faculty and staff are devoted to helping students balance their education with their personal and professional lives. Walden’s library, tutoring, and other student services also provide essential resources.
· Real-world application: Degree programs are developed by scholar-practitioners who continually assess courses to make sure they are current and relevant.
· International perspectives: Walden University is part of the Laureate International Universities global network of more than 80 accredited campus-based and online universities in 28 countries, serving more than 1,000,000 students around the world. Students in the Laureate International Universities network have an unprecedented opportunity to expand their international outlook and gain insights that they can apply directly to their professions.
· Positive social change: We believe that knowledge is most valuable when put to use for the greater good. Students, alumni, and faculty are committed to improving the human and social condition by creating and applying ideas to promote the development of individuals, communities, and organizations, as well as society as a whole.Mission, Vision, and Personal Goals Essay.
· Scholar-practitioner model: Our goal is to help students become scholar-practitioners by challenging them to integrate scholarly research with their own expertise as skilled practitioners in their fields.
|Vision, Mission, and Goals|
|Return to: Introduction
Walden University envisions a distinctively different 21st-century learning community where knowledge is judged worthy to the degree that it can be applied by its graduates to the immediate solutions of critical societal challenges, thereby advancing the greater global good.Mission, Vision, and Personal Goals Essay.
Walden University provides a diverse community of career professionals with the opportunity to transform themselves as scholar-practitioners so that they can effect positive social change.
· To provide multicontextual educational opportunities for career learners.
· To provide innovative, learner-centered educational programs that recognize and incorporate the knowledge, skills, and abilities students bring into their academic programs.
· To provide its programs through diverse process-learning approaches, all resulting in outcomes of quality and integrity.
· To provide an inquiry/action model of education that fosters research, discovery, and critical thinking and that results in professional excellence.Mission, Vision, and Personal Goals Essay.
· To produce graduates who are scholarly, reflective practitioners and agents of positive social change.
Walden University defines positive social change as a deliberate process of creating and applying ideas, strategies, and actions to promote the worth, dignity, and development of individuals, communities, organizations, institutions, cultures, and societies. Positive social change results in the improvement of human and social conditions.
This definition of positive social change provides an intellectually comprehensive and socially constructive foundation for the programs, research, professional activities, and products created by the Walden academic community.
In addition, Walden supports positive social change through the development of principled, knowledgeable, and ethical scholar-practitioners, who are and will become civic and professional role models by advancing the betterment of society.Mission, Vision, and Personal Goals Essay.
Walden University strives to produce graduates with the knowledge, skills, and abilities to:
1. Facilitate positive social change where they work, in their communities, and in society.
2. Use their knowledge to positively impact their profession, communities, and society.
3. Demonstrate a commitment to lifelong learning.
4. Apply their learning to specific problems and challenges in their workplace and professional settings.
5. Demonstrate information literacy.* *Information literacy is defined as the ability to know when there is a need for information, and being able to identify, locate, evaluate, and effectively use that information for the issue or problem at hand.Mission, Vision, and Personal Goals Essay.
6. Demonstrate an understanding of the methods of inquiry used in their professional or academic field.
7. Practice legal and ethical integrity in their professional work.
8. Effectively communicate their ideas and the rationale behind them to others.
9. Support diversity and multiculturalism within their profession, communities, and society.
Quality • Integrity • Student-Centeredness
Three values—quality, integrity, and student-centeredness—are the core of the university and the touchstones for action at all levels of the organization. They demand high standards of excellence, uncompromising openness and honesty, and primary attention to the progress of our students. These values and principles give Walden University its unique identity and underpin the Walden University mission.Mission, Vision, and Personal Goals Essay.
· Walden University believes that quality and integrity are the cornerstones of all academic processes.
· Walden University believes in innovation and flexibility in the conception and delivery of its educational programs, and that there are many different academic routes to achieve quality and integrity.Mission, Vision, and Personal Goals Essay.
|The Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) prepares students to focus their practice on the identified health needs of society, become leaders in their field through scholarship, influence the quality of patient care, manage technology and information, gain autonomy in their careers, and develop a lifelong commitment to learning. The MSN program offers a range of specializations in the most critical areas of nursing today.Mission, Vision, and Personal Goals Essay.|
|MSN Learning Outcomes
At the end of this program, students will be able to:
1. Synthesize organizational/systems leadership for cost-effective specialist nursing practice that contributes to high-quality healthcare delivery, advancement of the nursing profession, and social change.
2. Critique evidence-based literature drawing from diverse theoretical perspectives and pertinent research to guide decision making that demonstrates best practices for specialist nursing practice in a global society.
3. Integratively assess, diagnose, plan, implement, and evaluate cost-effective healthcare strategies that reduce health disparities by patient/population advocacy for access to specialist nursing care.
4. Demonstrate ability to effectively communicate using audience-specific oral, written, and information technology for professional delivery of specialist nursing care.Mission, Vision, and Personal Goals Essay.
5. Evaluate health needs of diverse populations for necessary teaching/coaching functions based on specialist nursing knowledge to restore/promote health and prevent illness/injury.
6. Exhibit ongoing commitment to professional development and value of nursing theories/ethical principles (altruism, autonomy, human dignity, integrity, social justice) in accordance with ethically responsible, legally accountable, specialist nursing practice.Mission, Vision, and Personal Goals Essay.
7. Implement specialist nursing roles to promote quality improvement of patient-centered care in accordance with professional practice standards that transform health outcomes for diverse populations.Mission, Vision, and Personal Goals Essay.