Week 4: Direct Care Project .
The purpose of this direct care project is for learners to apply the nursing process to a community health problem determined by their observations and data collected of vulnerable populations in their community. This is Part 2 of 4 in the Direct Care Project.
Direct Care Project Overview
OverviewPointsDue DateProjectsAir QualitySubstance UsePart 1: Assessment: Completed in Week 2Part 2: Planning: Check-In10Wednesday of Week 4Required, graded check-in on progress of assessing your communityPart 2: Planning the Presentation150Sunday end of Week 4Create a PowerPoint presentation on the use of the Air Quality Flag Program.Create a presentation on the use of Screening, Brief Intervention, and Referral to Treatment (SBIRT)Part 3: Implementing the PresentationRequiredSchedule presentation Saturday of Week 5 through Saturday Week 6Present to a local organization that serves the identified vulnerable population and could implement the Air Quality Flag Program; Includes participant(s) completing a Pre- and Post-surveyPresent to a group of healthcare professionals that serves the identified vulnerable population and could implement SBIRT; Includes participants completing a Pre- and Post-surveyPart 3: Implementation: Check-In10Wednesday of Week 5Required, graded check-in on progress of implementing your presentationPart 4: Evaluation: Check-In10Wednesday of Week 6Required, graded check-in on progress of evaluation of your presentation and projectPart 4: Evaluating the Project140Sunday end of Week 6Evaluate learning and reflect on project. Evaluate learning and reflect on project.
This direct care project enables the student to meet the following course outcomes:
Part 2 enables the student to meet the following course outcome:
Sunday 11:59 PM MT at the end of Week 4
If the assignment is not submitted by due date, a late deduction will be applied. See rubric below.Week 4: Direct Care Project .
If you have chosen substance use, you will present to at least 3 practicing RN’s. You can present all at one time or individually. If you chose air quality, you will present to at least one organization leader. See the Direct Care Project module for FAQs.Week 4: Direct Care Project .
**You may be instructed to resubmit depending on the revisions needed.
***The surveys you will give your audience pre and post presentation are already developed. You will submit the attendance form with the Part 4 submission and utilize the survey data in the Part 4 assignment. ***
Templates and Links
Click on the links below to download and view the resources for your project.
PowerPoint Presentation Template (Links to an external site.)
Air Quality Flag Program (Links to an external site.) (website)
SBIRT (Links to an external site.) (website)
Chamberlain College of Nursing values honesty and integrity. All students should be aware of the Academic Integrity policy and follow it in all discussions and assignments.
By submitting this assignment, I pledge on my honor that all content contained is my own original work except as quoted and cited appropriately. I have not received any unauthorized assistance on this assignment.Week 4: Direct Care Project .
Screening, Brief Intervention, and Referral to Treatment (SBIRT): Planning the Presentation Instructions
Directions: Create a PowerPoint presentation teaching about the use of Screening, Brief Intervention, and Referral to Treatment (SBIRT). See the assignment directions and tutorial for suggestions and best practices. Review the week’s readings prior to starting on your presentation, understand SBIRT, and its use related to the problem you identified in Part 1: Assessment and Diagnosis assignment.
1. Identify at least 3 practicing registered nurses who will volunteer for a session to learn about the SBIRT process that is used to identify, reduce, and prevent problematic use, abuse, and dependence on alcohol and illicit drugs.Week 4: Direct Care Project .
· You can present to all at the same time or individually. Set a date and time(s) for your presentation during Saturday of Week 5 and Saturday of Week 6 to allow ample time to complete the Week 6 Part 4 Evaluation assignment.
2. Review local data related to the specific problem or addiction identified in the Community Health Assessment and Diagnosis assignment. Maintain privacy and only include data that is available to the public. Include citation(s) on the slide when resources are used. Include all resources used on reference slide.Week 4: Direct Care Project .
3. Download the PowerPoint Presentation Template PowerPoint. (Once your presentation is complete, follow the job aid located in the Canvas Week 4 module Part 2 directions on how to convert the PowerPoint to PDF format with speaker notes displayed).
4. Create a PowerPoint presentation with speaker notes (8-15 slides not including introduction or references) for fellow healthcare professionals that includes:Week 4: Direct Care Project .
· Community description
· Basic demographic data (i.e. population, size, education, poverty levels, etc.)
· Relevant epidemiological data from Community Assessment and Diagnosis assignment.
· Problem description
· Comprehensive overview of the substance and problem
· Include any contributing factors specific to your community (i.e. target marketing, lack of employment opportunities, few treatment providers, lack of transportation, availability, etc.)Week 4: Direct Care Project .
· SBIRT description
· Description of SBIRT abbreviation and process
· How SBIRT is used specific to identified problem
· How to use SBIRT with vulnerable population
· How SBIRT impacts the problem?
· Community Resource
· Describe one community resource that may assist with the substance use concern. (For example, a local substance abuse clinic).
· Include how to reach this resource
· Phone, referral form, etc.
· Assess 4 A’s: affordability, accessibility, acceptability, availability for each resource
· Implications for practice
· Provide a comprehensive overview of the impact to the selected nurses.
· How does the data impact them? How could the implementation of SBIRT tool into their practice impact patient outcomes?
· Use at least one scholarly reference as support
· Summary and importance to improving population health outcomes
· Q&A slide
· Reference slide
· Minimum of 3 references. Should include references for SBIRT overview, community data, and at least one scholarly source. Utilize more references as needed.
5. See rubric, submission details, and best practices in Canvas.