Practicum Objectives for the Psychiatric-Mental Health Nurse Practitioner (PMHNP) Essay
Develop 6-7 Practicum Objectives for psychiatric mental health nurse practitioner student in an outpatient clinic. Student must see at least 6 patients on each clinical day. Objectives are pertinent to child, adolescent and family psychiatric mental health clinical rotations. Use the SMART Guidelines and Link each practicum objective with corresponding Measurable Learning Outcomes (see below).
Points to elaborate:
-Diagnosis of mental illnesses
-Treatment/ disease management
-Evaluation of care provided/follow-up
-Health promotion/Disease prevention
1. Complete at least two comprehensive mental health assessments of the child, adolescent, and family with a focus on gaining an insight into my client’s mental health history. I will accomplish this goal by exploring multiple contexts such as the client’s physical, genetic, environmental, social, cognitive, emotional, developmental and educational background. A comprehensive mental assessment will facilitate the analysis of evidence to support clinical decision-making and appraise the effectiveness of my clinical decision.Practicum Objectives for the Psychiatric-Mental Health Nurse Practitioner (PMHNP) Essay. Being proficient in conducting comprehensive assessment is a progressive skill, however, I shall be able to grasp the necessary abilities which will allow me to function as a PMHNP by the end of the semester (Meets course learning objectives 1, 2, 3, 4)
2. Complete 4 psychiatric assessment of acute episode of eating disorders in adolescents with a focus on assessment, interview techniques and minimizing risk factors. I am in a psychiatric inpatient setting this semester where my preceptor treats adolescents with eating disorders and I will be able to accomplish this goal by the end of the semester
MEASURABLE LEARNING OUTCOMES
1. Integrate the Christian world view in the delivery of psychiatric mental health care to pediatric individuals and families
2. Apply nursing, pathophysiology, biological, psycho-social, genetics, and population health knowledge in the assessment and management of pediatric individuals and families including health promotion and disease prevention and chronic disease and complex acute psychiatric mental health issues
3. Formulate evidence-based pharmacological and non-pharmacological therapeutic treatment plans including health promotion and disease prevention, care of chronic and complex acute psychiatric mental health issues of pediatric individuals and families
4. Evaluate cultural, ethical, legal and socioeconomic factors that affect pediatric individuals and families seeking care, including health promotion and disease prevention, chronic and complex acute psychiatric mental health issues in various mental health care settings
5. Collaborate with health professionals and community key resources in health promotion and disease prevention, management of chronic and complex acute psychiatric mental health issues of pediatric individuals and families.
6. Utilize health care technology in clinical practice: Technology and Information Literacy Competencies. Practicum Objectives for the Psychiatric-Mental Health Nurse Practitioner (PMHNP) Essay.
7. Evaluate evidence-based therapeutic models of interview techniques to develop a relationship and patient-centered care for pediatric individuals and families.
8. Analyze evidence to support clinical decision making and evaluate the effectiveness of clinical decisions in the psychiatric care of pediatric individuals and families who present for health promotion/disease prevention, chronic and complex acute psychiatric mental health issues.
Student in an Outpatient Setup
The following are seven practicum objectives for the PMHNP who must attend to at least six patients a day. They are relevant to child, adolescent, and family rotations, and are linked to corresponding Measurable Learning Outcomes.
American Psychological Association [APA] (2013). Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-5), 5th ed. Author.
Corrigan, P.W. (2016). Principles and practice of psychiatric rehabilitation: An empirical approach, 2nd ed. The Guilford Press.
Sadock, B.J., Sadock, V.A., & Ruiz, P. (2015). Synopsis of psychiatry: Behavioral sciences clinical psychiatry, 11th ed. Wolters Kluwer. Practicum Objectives for the Psychiatric-Mental Health Nurse Practitioner (PMHNP) Essay .