Diabetes and Drug Treatments Essay
Diabetes and Drug Treatments
Diabetes is an endocrine system disorder that affects millions of children and adults (ADA, 2011). If left untreated, diabetic patients are at risk for several alterations including heart disease, stroke, kidney failure, neuropathy, and blindness. There are various methods for treating diabetes, many of which include some form of drug therapy. The type of diabetes as well as the patient’s behavior factors will impact treatment recommendations. In this Assignment, you compare types of diabetes including drug treatments for type 1, type 2, gestational, and juvenile diabetes.
• Review this week’s media presentation on the endocrine system and diabetes, as well as Chapter 46 of the Arcangelo and Peterson text and the Peterson et al. article in the Learning Resources.
• Reflect on differences between types of diabetes including type 1, type 2, gestational, and juvenile diabetes.
• Select one type of diabetes.Diabetes and Drug Treatments Essay
• Consider one type of drug used to treat the type of diabetes you selected including proper preparation and administration of this drug. Then, reflect on dietary considerations related to treatment.
• Think about the short-term and long-term impact of the diabetes you selected on patients including effects of drug treatments.
By Day 7
Write a 2- to 3- page paper that addresses the following:
• Explain the differences between types of diabetes including type 1, type 2, gestational, and juvenile diabetes.
• Describe one type of drug used to treat the type of diabetes you selected including proper preparation and administration of this drug. Include dietary considerations related to treatment.
• Explain the short-term and long-term impact of this diabetes on patients including effects of drugs treatments.
ORDER A PLAGIARISM -FREE PAPER NOW
Reminder: The School of Nursing requires that all papers submitted include a title page, introduction, summary, and references. The Sample Paper provided at the Walden Writing Center provides an example of those required elements (available at http://writingcenter.waldenu.edu/57.htm). All papers submitted must use this formatting.
Submission and Grading Information
To access your rubric:
Week 6 Assignment Rubric
Check Your Assignment Draft for Authenticity
ASSIGNMENT REQUIRED COURSE RESOURCES
(MUST use 2-3 required course resources PLUS 2 credible outside resources)
Arcangelo, V. P., Peterson, A. M., Wilbur, V., & Reinhold, J. A. (Eds.). (2017). Pharmacotherapeutics for advanced practice: A practical approach (4th ed.). Ambler, PA: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins.
• Chapter 36, “Osteoarthritis and Rheumatoid Arthritis” (pp. 591-609)Diabetes and Drug Treatments Essay
This chapter examines the causes, pathophysiology, and diagnostic criteria of osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis. It then outlines the process of selecting, administering, and managing drug therapy for both disorders.
• Chapter 46, “Diabetes Mellitus” (pp. 785-806)
This chapter begins by identifying the causes, pathophysiology, and diagnostic criteria of diabetes mellitus. It then examines the process of selecting, administering, and managing drug therapy for patients with diabetes mellitus.
• Chapter 47, “Thyroid Disorders” (pp. 809-822)
This chapter explores the causes, pathophysiology, diagnostic criteria, and administration of drug therapy for patients with thyroid disorders, including hypothyroidism, hyperthyroidism, thyroid nodules, subclinical thyroid disease, and thyroiditis. It also discusses the mechanisms of prescribed drugs, as well as proper dosages and potential adverse reactions.
English, C. & Aloi, J.J. (2015). New FDA-Approved Disease-Modifying Therapies for Multiple Sclerosis. Clinical Therapeutics. 37(4). 691-715
Note: Retrieved from the Walden Library databases.
This article covers new FDA approved medications for the treatment of multiple sclerosis.
Kargiotis, O., Paschali, A., Messinis, L., & Papathanasopoulos, P. (2010). Quality of life in multiple sclerosis: Effects of current treatment options. International Review of Psychiatry, 22(1), 67–82.
Note: Retrieved from the Walden Library databases.
This article examines the process of evaluating and diagnosing patients who present with symptoms of multiple sclerosis and explores treatment and rehabilitation methods.
Document: American Diabetes Association. (2018). Pharmacologic Approaches to Glycemic Treatment: Standards of medical care in diabetes—2018. Diabetes Care, 41(Supplement 1), S73-S85. Retrieved from http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/41/supplement_1/s73.full-text.pdf Diabetes and Drug Treatments Essay
Laureate Education, Inc. (Executive Producer). (2012). The endocrine system and diabetes. Baltimore, MD: Author.
This media presentation explores the endocrine system and diabetes including diagnosis and treatment of the disease.
Note: The approximate length of this media piece is 5 minutes.
Laureate Education, Inc. (Executive Producer). (2012). Advanced pharmacology – Mid-course review. Baltimore, MD: Author.
This media is an interactive mid-course review covering course content.Diabetes and Drug Treatments Essay