American Jewish cardiopulmonary resuscitation PICOT Paper
PICOT and Literature Search Assignment
This assignment will be completed individually.
PICOT questions are used by researchers to focus research questions and develop an efficient literature search strategy. You will create 3 PICOT questions to search for evidence for your individual quantitative appraisal and group review of literature paper. Be sure to develop questions about topics that interest you.
PICOT Questions American Jewish cardiopulmonary resuscitation PICOT Paper
• Write 3 PICOT questions related to nursing. Use PICOT templates in the EBP Step by Step 3 article in Brightspace to create your questions.
• Identify the PICOT elements for each question.
Search Strategy and Execution
• Develop a search strategy using at least 3 keywords, 1 synonym, and 1 MeSH term for your PICOT questions.
• Using any one of your three PICOT questions and the search strategy for it, locate 4 articles that help answer it.
o Be sure that you choose primary source quantitative research articles. (Check for data analysis using numbers and the IMRaD format.)
o The population studied, issues/intervention of interest, and outcomes measured in the article should match the P, I, and C of your PICOT question.
o No article can be older than 2014.
• Obtain pdfs of each of the four articles you selected.
Submitting Your Results
• On a Word document, write each PICOT question with elements identified and the search terms for each.
• Highlight the PICOT question for which you selected articles.
• Provide APA references for your selected articles.
• See the example at the end of this document for suggested formatting. You may use it as a template. American Jewish cardiopulmonary resuscitation PICOT Paper
• Name each document as follows:
o Lastname PICOT
o Lastnamearticle 1
o Lastnamearticle 2
o Lastnamearticle 3
o Lastname article 4
• Drop all five documents (Word document and pdfs of the articles) to the submission folder by the deadline.
PICOT Questions and Literature Search Rubric
Grading Criterion Pts Mastery
1 or 0
1. Elements of requirements included (3 foreground questions; 3 background questions; PICOT Identification for each of the 3 questions; at least 3 keywords, 1 synonym, and 1 MeSH term for each of the 3 questions) = 36 elements total 36 elements included 35 elements included 34 elements included 33 (1 pt) or 32 or fewer (0 pts) elements included
2. All 3 PICOT questions are nursing related All 3 questions are nursing related 2 questions are nursing related 1 question is nursing related No questions are nursing related (0 pts)
3. All parts of the PICOT are correctly identified = 15 elements 14 to 15 elements are correctly identified 12 to 13 elements are correctly identified 10 to 11 elements are correctly identified 9(1 pt) or 8 or fewer (0 pts) elements are correctly identified
4. Articles are primary source quantitative research reports. All four are primary source reports 3 are primary source reports 2 are primary source reports 1 or 0 are primary source reports
5. All articles help answer the same PICOT question All 4 help answer the same PICOT question 3 help answer the same PICOT question 2 help answer the same PICOT question 1 or 0 help answer the same PICOT question
6. Article citations provided in APA format (see example on next page) 0 to 1 unique APA elements are incorrect 2 to 3unique APA elements are incorrect 4 to 5 unique APA elements are incorrect 6 (1 pt) or 7 or more (0 pts) unique APA elements are incorrect
7. Articles are no older than 2014 All 4 are no older than 2014 3 are no older than 2014 2 are no older than 2014 1 or 0 are no older than 2014
8. Pdfs of all articles are provided (all or nothing) Yes No (0 pts)
Total points / 8 = X.XX = conversion to 100 points American Jewish cardiopulmonary resuscitation PICOT Paper